The Friends Seminary Distance Learning Plan presumes that students and families are able to maintain digital communication (email and internet). Further requirements for devices and networking differ by age group and are spelled out within each divisional section.
In the event of a forced campus closure, Friends Seminary has taken steps to ensure that all students have access to devices that will allow them to meaningfully engage in Online Learning:
Grades K-8: All students will be equipped with school-issued iPads.
Grades 9-12 will use their BYOD
Here is a link to the LS Digital Citizenship Guide
Here is a link to the MS iPad Responsible Use Policy.
* Parents of Lower School students will also need email access in order to support their child(ren)’s work.
For Middle and Upper School students, a mobile device with Wifi and/or a cellular data plan may be viable for some tasks and may supplement online learning with the primary device (iPad/Laptop).
The Technology Department will be available to help with issues related to school-provided devices or problems accessing distance learning resources. If issues arise, parents or students may access support by starting a help ticket (https://bit.ly/fsremotesupport). Submitting a ticket will allow the team to review, prioritize, delegate and respond to issues efficiently.
If needed, an email can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to create a ticket as well. If it is determined that a device is broken or in need of service, families will be directed by Tech Department staff on how to proceed.
Below is a technical checklist that students and families may use to ensure they are prepared for Distance Learning:
- Confirm your student’s device is connected to your home Wifi network
- Confirm that download and upload speeds on the device are 3 Mbps or greater by going to https://fast.com/
- Verify your student can log in to Gmail (for grades 5-12) and their Learning Management System (grades K-12):
- If using an iPad, confirm it is on iOS 11 or higher.
- If using a computer, confirm that the latest version of Chrome is installed (Chrome is the preferred web browser for online learning - some media will not display correctly on other browsers).
- Confirm the Zoom Client application / App is installed