"We prepare students to engage in the world that is and to help bring about a world that ought to be."
Friends Seminary was established in 1786 through a bequest from the prominent Quaker shipping merchant, Robert Murray.
Upon his death in 1786, Murray bequeathed to the new seminary $200 to help pay for the building and set the school on a firm financial footing. His sons, Lindley and John Murray, Jr., were on the first Board of Trustees and guided the school’s development throughout their lifetimes.
The Murrays lived in a palatial house on what is now East 37th Street and Park Avenue, the heart of Murray Hill. Grand Central Station now sits on the site of Robert Murray’s cornfield. This legendary and generous New York family, played an important role history of Friends Seminary that is long remembered.*